So uhm, hi.
( ´ ▽ ` )ﾉ The username's adustyspectacle, but that's like 10 letters too long so you can call me dusty. This'll be the first time I'll be participating in Yuletide, and I'm equal parts nervous and excited. I honestly have no idea what to write here and was just gonna link to this General Likes/Dislkes Post for Prospective Gifters I did from the two previous gift exchanges I've participated in, but that seemed a bit lazy, so. ^^;;
Do Not Wants
Next would be my DNWs. There's a bunch listed on the post I linked above, but you don't have to follow that one. I'll just be listing here the most relevant ones:
- Major Character Death - That's the one archive warning in my DNW. I'm fine with the others as long as it fits the tone of the fandom I've requested, e.g. I'm okay with Rape/Non-con in Gundam IBO (although hopefully that one doesn't happen between any of my requested characters :D) but not in Shounen Maid.
- Character Bashing - Pretty self-explanatory.
- 1st/2nd person POV - I have a weird aversion for them when it comes to fanfics. 1st person I'm pretty okay with in epistolary-style fics, or if the POV is an OC, but other than that, eh.
- Genderswaps - I'm a gay-as-fuck dude who loves to read about dudes who are also into dudes, so
¯_(ツ)_/¯I don't mind if an M/M pairing gets swapped to F/F (or vice-versa, but I don't think I've ever actually seen that particular one happen before), but turning it to F/M almost always rubs me the wrong way. Genderswapping F/M to M/M or F/F too, now that I think about it. So yeah, unless there's like reincarnation and multiple lives or something involved, and it ends in M/M or F/F, then genderswaps doesn't really interest me.
- Infidelity, Cheating - Pretty self-explanatory, so please don't.
- Het Incest - My requested fandom/characters probably wouldn't need this DNW, but just in case. I'm perfectly fine reading incest, just not het incest. That also goes for characters who are not related at all but have a sibling- or parent-like relationship in canon.
- A/B/O Dynamics - I don't mind them in PWPs, but I really don't care for it otherwise.
- Eye Gore - Yeah, these freaks me out. If the eyeballs are detached from the person, go ahead, do your worst. But if it's still attached and somebody does anything to it (scooping them out, puncturing them, putting on contacts...) that's an instant nope for me.
- Smut - I'm... very very picky when it comes to smut, so I'd rather just rule it out than list all my kinks and squicks (not to mention kinks I'm fine with in certain situations, but not in others, kinks I only like when accompanied with other kinks...), lol. With that said, I'm not averse at all to sexual situations happening in the fic as long as it doesn't overwhelm the whole thing.
Things I Like
Okay, so if I hadn't listed it as a DNW, chances are I'd probably love it. But here's some of stuff I am really into:
- Canon-compliant or Canon-divergent fics - Fics that can make me feel it actually happened in canon, or fics that ask "what if this instead of that happened in canon?" and then run with it are my favorites.
- AUs - With that said, I also love AUs as long as the characters are recognizably them. Any kind of fantasy or sci-fi AU I am down. Mundane/Modern Setting/No Powers AUs also, if the fandom isn't already set there (like Gatchaman or IBO).
- Pining - Mutal pining. Oblivious mutal pining. All the pining.
- Humor - Whether it's crack or black humor in darkfics, go for it!
- Kidfic - I mentioned this in Amaama Inazuma down below, but yeah. I really love kidfic. I don't know why but I really do—I have this 300k fic I always read from time to time even if it does need serious editing just because it presses my kidfic button so hard. Kid in question being in the age range where they can actually talk and interact is preferable, but I wouldn't say no to babies.
- Domesticity - I love kidfic, what did you expect? XD
Alright, onto my requested fandoms!
Characters: Hibiki Jou, Tachibana Sugane
Slash preferably, but gen would be awesome too, because I have a need for these two, ahahaha. What interests me the most is these two pre-series. Like, what happened between Jou saving Sugane from the MESS when the latter was young and the events of the first season? Was Sugane an orphan? Did they live together? Their backstory was just woefully unexplored.
Anything post-Insight would be pretty good too. Again, they were sadly underused during the second season, but their dynamic now that they're both adults would be very interesting to see.
The one thing I was disappointed about with this otherwise pretty awesome series is that there's not much focus on the other characters, especially in season 2. Pretty much why I never warmed up to Tsubasa was because the characters I would've loved to see more of—Jou, Sugane, OD and Utsutsu—got even less screentime.
But anyway. I really love Sugane looking up to Jou. It's cute. I don't really know what else to say, but I just really wanna see more and character interaction.
Oh, if you can use 'Jou' instead of 'Joe' that would be awesome. XD
Characters: Hino Yuuji, Komiya Chihiro
I'm good with either gen or slash (although I do have a preference for the latter XD). I think Yuuji might actually be my favorite character in this anime, and I love every single one of them, ahahaha. I just love that Chihiro, who worries so much about everyone else he doesn't have time to worry about himself, has Yuuji to worry in his stead for him.
For prompts, hmm.. I'd really be interested how their dynamic would play out when they're older, like in highschool. Or maybe something canon-divergent where Chihiro did live with the Hino's instead of Madoka's?
Ugh, this fucking show. This is the epitome of 'don't judge a book by its cover', and holy crap did the cover sucked. But the warmth and unabashed sentiment of the inside was a lovely surprise and just an absolute joy to watch. You know that feeling where you just wanna give someone a real tight hug so you do and they hug back tightly? This show felt like that.
As I mentioned, Hino's my favorite. I love that's he's very perceptive and just really looks out for Chihiro.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
Characters: Akihiro Altland, Orga Itsuki, Mikazuki Augus
Gen or Slash (with a preference for the latter)! Any permutation of these three would be awesome (with Mikazuki/Akihiro/Orga being my OTP for these series), but especially anything Akihiro-centric would be cool because he's my favorite and I like the suffering he goes through in canon XD I also wouldn't mind something centered around Mika or Orga (or both!) as long as Akihiro has a major presence in it.
This is my first Gundam series. I've always wanted to get into Gundam, since I enjoy the idea on an abstract level (and I enjoy mecha in general because what's not to love about MOTHERFUCKING GIANT ROBOTS), but the completionist in me is intimidated by how huge the main timeline is.
Thankfully, this one's a separate continuity with no prior knowledge needed. What really drew me in was with its portrayal of child soldiers. Mikazuki especially in that regard, as his personality is just wonderfully grey and complex, but the rest of Tekkadan too. Not to mention Orga and Mika's dynamic is just the perfect balance of cute and fucked up.
And as I said above, Akihiro is one of my absolute favorites. His this quiet, kinda intimidating at first glance kind of guy but he's just awkward all around. I really felt for his story—I have a weakness for brother sibling dynamics, so his plotline with Masahiro was catnip to me. I also love that Akihiro and Mika are workout buddies. Really, I love Tekkadan's downtimes where they just take a breather from all the shit that happens to them.
Amaama to Inazuma | Sweetness and Lightning
Characters: Yagi Yuusuke, Inuzuka Kouhei
Oh my god Yagi is just so gay for Kouhei I just aaaahhhh
Ahem. Again, gen or slash (although with an overwhelming preference for the latter this time, sorry ^^;;), but I'd really really like it if Yagi's feelings for Kouhei are very much text and not subtext. It can be unrequited or not, I'm fine either way.
For prompts on the slashier side, I'd be stoked to see Kouhei finding out about Yagi's feelings and how would that go for them. On the more gen side, Anything involving these two being domestic with Tsumugi would be awesome. For both gen and slash, I think it would be interesting to see how their interactions would be as friends, as that didn't get really explored much in the anime/manga.
I nearly didn't watch this to be honest. I love kidfic, and I love food, so this was something I knew I would enjoy watching. But a het teacher-student romance between Kouhei and Kotori was really something I didn't want to see and, given that it's anime, it's a very possible outcome.
But I've read spoilers on that particular subplot and have my fears allayed a bit, and boy was I glad I gave it a shot.
In case it wasn't clear, I really really really love Yagi. XD I have a soft spot for those 'looks like bad news but is actual a big sweet softie' type of guys (ah, gap moe at its finest). Plus, pairing (in all the ways) that type with a "normal" guy like Kouhei, well... how could I resist?